WHAT IS HERBAL MEDICINE
Herbal medicine is the oldest still the most widely used system of medicine in the world today. It is medicine made exclusively from plants. It is used in all societies and is common to all cultures.
Herbal medicine is increasingly being validated by scientific investigation which seeks to understand the active chemistry of the plant.
Many modern Pharmaceuticals have been modeled on/ or derived from chemicals found in plants. An example is the heart medication digoxin derived from foxglove (Digitalis purpurea).
Using plants as medicine provides significant advantages for treating many conditions. The therapeutic activity of a plant is due to its complex chemical nature with different parts of the plant providing certain therapeutic effects.
Your NHAA accredited herbalist is in the best position to select an appropriate combination of plant remedies for you.
WHAT IS A MEDICAL HERBALIST?
A medical herbalist:
- is highly trained in the philosophies/ principles and practice of western herbal medicine and medical science
- takes a holistic view towards health and illness; will assess you as a person and not a disease
- prescribes and dispenses plant medicines in a safe and effective manner
- seeks to treat the underlying cause of disease/acknowledges the body's innate ability to heal itself
- aims to prevent disease and restore health
- provides dietary and lifestyle advice
- maintains high standards of professional practice
- is an authoritative source of information about natural medicine
Accreditation by the
National Herbalists Association
of Australia is your guarantee that
a practitioner is fully qualified to
practise herbal medicine.
BENEFITS OF CONSULTING AN NHAA ACCREDITED MEMBER
- is a fully qualified specialist in herbal medicine
- is recognised by many health funds for rebates
- abides by a professional Code of Ethics
- maintains continuing professional education.
CHOOSING AN ACCREDITED HERBALIST
Antoinette Balnave is an NHAA Acredited Member - Membership Number 104690.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN CONSULTING A HERBALIST
- A comprehensive consultation including:
- a detailed case history
- individually prescribed and dispensed herbal medicines
- clear dosage instructions
- dietary and lifestyle advice
HOW LONG DOES TREATMENT TAKE?
This will depend completely on the individual and their condition.
Some improvement in symptoms should be noted within hours to a day for acute complaints such as a cold or the flu, or within 4-6 weeks for chronic complaints. Chronic problems are particularly well suited to treatment with herbal medicine.
IS HERBAL MEDICINE SAFE?
Herbal medicine is very safe and effective when prescribed by a fully qualified herbal practitioner.
If you have any questions or concerns about your treatment, please consult your prescribing practitioner.